Thursday, August 25, 2011

Hives, Bob and Philmore

It seems like all the kids had summer colds; however, E and T had the worst cases as they both developed into pneumonia or as E kept saying, "nomia" (pronounced no-mee-a). We got E on antibiotics and a strong cough medicine to help her sleep but one of them caused severe hives on her legs and arms for 3 days with the first day having dilated pupils.
E's hives

T must have felt left out because she complained about shortness of breath the next week and my cure all is to go lie down as we had just sat down for dinner. I ate a few bites and then checked on T who was on the couch. She said it was still really hard to breathe and as one who has asthma I know how awful it is to not be able to get in the air you need. I also knew that since she was still breathing (although difficult) that I should go right away and take her to the urgent care (where I assumed that they would possibly give us a nebulizer treatment to help open her airways and we'd be on our way. Now of course Steve is never home when it seems I have to take one of the kids to the ER or urgent care but he was about 30 minutes out and I knew that we wouldn't be too long at the urgent care so I called my neighbor across the street and told her what was going on and that I just wanted to let E know that someone would be home if they needed anything in the next 30 minutes or so. I took T and we headed to the urgent care which is only about 5 minutes away. We went right in and they monitored her oxygen levels which were 80% of normal which was too low so they put her on oxygen and then we took x-rays which confirmed the doctor's diagnosis of pneumonia. Because her O2 levels were too low and she was dehydrated (sunken dark eyes--yes I'm apparently a "great" mother who doesn't notice these things and just chalks them up to the child being tired) they had to call an ambulance where she was going to be taken to a nearby children's unit (which is a sub group of Primary Children's and a whole lot closer). They called the hospital and arranged for her to have a room and they said I could come in the ambulance but I had my van and since they wouldn't let me take her I followed behind. Then it was time to call Steve and tell him all the exciting news and that I wouldn't be home. We got to the hospital and T said she had a bumpy ride but she learned that one of the ambulance drivers liked chapstick just as much as she does. They hooked her up to all sorts of machines and we tried to settle in. Steve came by later that night with our home teacher to give T a blessing. We had a rough night that first night as her O2 levels continued to drop every time they tried to reduce the oxygen. She had to have an IV and we learned that she is one of the few people who when the IV is put in can immediately taste the saline solution in her mouth. Between the nurses coming in and checking on her when the alarms sounded and her fever making her miserable we were glad when morning came. We named her IV stand Bob as Bob had to go every where with us and to make it seem a little less scary. She was given breathing exercises but when he O2 levels still dropped to unsafe levels when she slept we had to stay another night. Our bishop stopped by and visited with Thea and gave her a bag of candies to eat when she felt better. Our home teachers when they learned that we weren't coming home that night and that Thea would miss the BBQ bought her a cute little pajama set to help her feel better. This is the same family whom T has made as her adopted Grandma when none of her grandparents could come for a program. She also received a balloon from Thaidra who was so concerned and probably delayed her studying to help with the kids and when T got home, her friends from next door stopped by and brought her another balloon and gift. That night after she was released from the hospital a nice family in the ward brought over dinner and small gifts for all the children. Steve made the comment that it was nice to be thought about when family isn't close and the husband responded that we did indeed have family close by--a ward family and I know that is true as we received so many well wishes and help from everyone and because every time something comes up from when our window well floods to sick kids we receive so much help. We are blessed and watched over and I am so grateful for this neighborhood and ward. On that Friday, T was released from the hospital and was sent home with Philmore--a portable oxygen condenser that we used for 5 nights to help T keep her O2 levels up while sleeping. We all seem to be doing better and are healthy at the moment and are appreciative of all thoughts and prayers.

T and Bob
T and Philmore

No comments: